Update from SW

Entering week three of the trip. We have done dozens of little adventures from seeing 500 year old ruins, to a 5 day river trip where we got to go 56 miles with really kind guides and super awesome scientists not to mention a few really good rounds of Cards Against Humanity. Excited to finish the trip off strong. – Cole

Beginning week three of the spring street southwest trip throughout the United States. So far we’ve traveled from Washington through Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, and briefly in Arizona. We’ve seen moose, prong horn, jack rabbit. feral horses, donkeys, and lizards of all type. – Nathan

Throughout the last couple weeks, I have learned a lot about myself and my friends (mainly because we are such a small group). There has been lots of adventure throughout this trip and lots of excitement. We’ve done offloading in the van and have also done hiking, biking, river rafting, and rock climbing. I personally have been having the time of my life because I love the Southwest, I’ve seen places that have been on my bucket list for a long time, it’s the longest trip I’ve ever been on, and I’m with an awesome group who helps me persevere through hard times (like losing my wallet). I can’t wait to see what comes up next on our long expedition. -Levi

Looking back at the last two weeks as we are now entering day one of week three, the realization of how much we’ve done hit me. We’ve gone hiking in moab, been to chaco canyon and done a five day river trip. All of which has been exciting and had something fun around every corner. On the river the first two days went very smoothly, until on day three we got stuck on government rapid for two or three hours, and was then followed by two more days of slow drifting over sandbars and getting out to push. All of which was a lot of fun. One of my favorite things i learned was that the rapid was called government rapids a joke about how slow our government can be, as well as supposedly the place where a government official flipped their boat. The river trip overall was a lot of fun and we had a great time with our three guides and the two scientists from glen canyon. -Matthew

It is so quiet that I feel like I have gone deaf. I’m sitting under a huge sandstone overhang and the planes have ceased to rumble above it. My camera shutter fires with a sound like a thunder crack inside my skull. Then back to silence and stillness. Across from me, a Cottonwood sways with an imperceptible breeze and makes such a soft rustling that I wonder if I have imagined it. Am I even breathing? – Thoughts from inside Oljeto Canyon – Cam

This trip on the river allowed me to see how quiet and calm the South is. I got to meditate and think how I am so lucky to come out of the civilization and live differently. I loved the wind blowing all the time. I liked seeing everyone happy about what they were doing. I thank all people who made things happen. -Christa